CRAQ EDI Committee
In the summer of 2021, CRAQ formed a committee to address issues of equity, diversity and inclusion.
Our mission statement : The CRAQ EDI Committee aims to create a working environment that is safe, equitable, and inclusive for all CRAQ members, one which recognizes and values our diversity of backgrounds, identities, and expectations.
Our objectives are to:
- Ensure all CRAQ activities align with FRQNT EDI principles.
- Facilitate inter-institutional EDI initiatives of CRAQ members
- Improve access, representation, and sense of belonging of researchers from equity-seeking groups within CRAQ.
- Advise the CRAQ Scientific Advisory Committee on the creation and review of policies to improve equity, inclusivity, and access.
- Act as a contact for CRAQ members for EDI resources.
- Provide opportunities for our members to be educated on EDI issues.
Who are we?
Current members of the committee are (in alphabetical order):
- Carolina Cruz-Vinaccia, Coordinator of the McGill Space Institute since 2018, serves on the McGill Faculty of Science EDI Committee, leads EPOD, a discussion group on EDI issues, member of the Department of Physics at McGill EDI Committee.
- Julie Hlavacek-Larrondo, Professor at Université de Montréal, founder of the Department of Physics at UdeM EDI Committee D-PHY and co-initiator of the Parité Science project (on parental leave until February 2022)
- Gilles Joncas, Director of the Département de physique, génie physique et d’optique at Université Laval, extensive experience in human resources issues, including EDI.
- Marie-Eve Naud, Education and Outreach Coordinator of the Institute for Research on Exoplanets (iREx) at Université de Montréal, member of the iREx EDI Committee, and occasional guest of the Department of Physics at UdeM EDI Committee D-PHY.
- John Ruan, Professor at Bishop’s University (previously a postdoctoral researcher at McGill)